Skip to main content

Slime time and bath tub paint

Luckily, the weather here the past few days has been rainy. This is great because after the fires, we need the moisture. But rainy days are not always good for farm kids who like to be playing outside! To beat the boredom, we have done some fun indoor activities like making slime and bathtub paints.

Slime

My kids love to watch videos on YouTube. It is one of their prizes for good behavior. The other day, the girls were watching a video where they were making Trolls slime. So, of course, they wanted to make it too. Sadly, we couldn't find the glitter glue in town, so we just used regular glue. Even without the glitter, they had fun. 

Ingredients
1 bottle of glue
2-4 teaspoons of liquid starch
food coloring as desired

Steps
1. Empty the bottle of glue onto a plate or into a bowl.
2. Add food coloring to reach desired color (we made green, blue, and pink)
3. Slowly add the liquid starch stirring as you go.
4. Continue adding until you reach the desired consistency.
5. Have fun!

Emptying the glue was Bubs' favorite part

Squishing it around

Messy fun!


Bath Tub Paint

This is a super easy activity that provides my kids with a solid 30 minutes of fun. The best part - no real cleanup because they are already in the tub!

Ingredients:
Muffin tin
Shaving Cream
Food coloring
Paint brushes

Steps:
1. Fill muffin tins with shaving cream
2. Use food coloring to make desired colors
3. Put kids in the bathtub (running water optional)
4. Enjoy!

*When we did this the other day, the kids did it right before their actual bath, so no swimming suits were involved and most of the pictures can't be used. The suit pictures are from a year or two ago. :)

Bubs loved it!
Getting ready

Baby Boo painted herself!

Next up on our list of fun: Marshmallow Play-dough!


Comments

  1. Great pictures!! Marshmallow play-dough sounds kinda yummy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Fall

Happy first day of fall everyone! We are celebrating with some work on the farm. Last night, our high school helpers took apart all of the irrigation pipe, and today we will load it up to put away. On our farm, the majority of the fields are watered with sprinkler irrigation that looks like this: Photo credit: Taylor Shea Goldenstein However, in the corner areas, we use irrigation pipe that runs from a well. The water runs down the rows and must be set to alternate every day. This process is done by hand and is one of our favorite summertime activities as you can see: Setting water on soybean field 2016 Checking the rows in a corn field 2015 Playing in the mud 2014 The weather here was cool and misty - this morning - so I planned on eating potato soup for dinner. By day's end though the weather heated up too much for soup, but I am sure I will get the chance to make it soon. Instead, the kids enjoyed some time playing. 

The Perfect Pumpkin

So how exactly does one pick the perfect pumpkin? I think most of it is based on personal preference in terms of shape, texture, and color. However, there are some tried and true strategies to picking a good pumpkin.  At Pumpkins and More A-maiz-ing Farm, we encourage customers to go out in the field to search for their perfect pumpkin. Part one of this strategy requires wearing jeans and sturdy shoes. If you have never been into a pumpkin patch before, then you may not realize that the ground is uneven and the vines are prickly. Wearing gloves and bringing clippers are a bonus strategy. Once prepared, head out in search of a pumpkin that you find visually appealing. Personally, I am a fan of a big, spherical Lumina pumpkin or a tall, oblong orange pumpkin. Bah loves the perfectly round pie pumpkins, Boo likes the pink pumpkins, and Bubs appreciates all "puh-kins." No matter what your preference is, you want to look for a pumpkin free from bugs, with an intact vine, n...

Surviving the afterglow

How many of you out there experience the post-holiday slump? I always feel like the first few weeks of January are depressing. The glow and excitement of the holidays are over. The weather is usually cold and gloomy. My house is in shambles from all-over toys, and I am crabby from trying to cut back on sweets. This year, though, I am working on continuing the joyful spirit and not allowing myself to get down in the dumps. I have found some techniques to help keep me on track that I am excited to share. 1. Make a routine and stick to it. This can be applied in almost every area of life but is especially useful in balancing work and home life. For some people, this may sound like torture, but my type A personality thrives on a schedule and organization. My routine revolves around efficiency. When I wake up, I shower and get the kids' breakfast ready. Then I wake them up so they can get dressed while I do my hair. When they are dressed, I do their hair while they brush th...