Skip to main content

Inch by Inch, Row by Row...

Inch by inch, row by row, it's time to get these crops to grow!

April means planting season. Due to all of the rain *Praise God!* we had a slight delay on planting. Usually, the crops are in the ground mid-April, but this year it was later. Planting is a really interesting process because all of the crops can be planted using the same machine and changing the plates and rate of seeding.

Sugar Beets

The first crop in the ground is sugar beets.

To prepare the planter, Boots must first choose the correct plate. The plates vary on size and help drop the seeds through the planter. Then, he programs the rate at which the seeds need planted. After that, he deposits the seed into the planter basket and adds additional fertilizers as needed.  The fertilizers are held in the tanks on the tractor and are applied as the seed is deposited into the ground. Finally, he is ready to plant.


Planting beets

Checking all the hoses

Bah helping check seed bins

Beet seed

He does make dirt look good

Corn

One of our main crops is corn. Corn is planted in bedded rows. On sprinkler-irrigated sections the rows are not as defined, but in pipe-irrigated sections, the field must be ditched first to allow the water to flow down each row.

As the corn seed it put in the planter, talc is added; the talc keeps the seeds from clumping or getting stuck in the machine.Much like with beets, the fertilizer application process happens while the seed is planted. This helps feed the seed and boosts germination. The kids enjoyed watching the floating balls that let us know if a nozzle is plugged. Thanks to modern technology, we were even able to watch a family movie (The Incredibles) while in the cab of the tractor.

Boots checking fertilizer

Ready to go

Boo watching the fertilizer

GPS and a movie


Soy Beans and Edible (Pinto) Beans

A planted field of beans looks very similar to a planted field of corn, but the plates are slightly different. Check them out:
Photo courtesy of John Deere

Pumpkins

Pumpkins (and gourds) are planted using a sunflower seed plate. They are also spaced further apart  by planting every other row since they have large vines.


Sorting varieties of pumpkins and gourds

Off he goes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Fall

Happy first day of fall everyone! We are celebrating with some work on the farm. Last night, our high school helpers took apart all of the irrigation pipe, and today we will load it up to put away. On our farm, the majority of the fields are watered with sprinkler irrigation that looks like this: Photo credit: Taylor Shea Goldenstein However, in the corner areas, we use irrigation pipe that runs from a well. The water runs down the rows and must be set to alternate every day. This process is done by hand and is one of our favorite summertime activities as you can see: Setting water on soybean field 2016 Checking the rows in a corn field 2015 Playing in the mud 2014 The weather here was cool and misty - this morning - so I planned on eating potato soup for dinner. By day's end though the weather heated up too much for soup, but I am sure I will get the chance to make it soon. Instead, the kids enjoyed some time playing. 

The Perfect Pumpkin

So how exactly does one pick the perfect pumpkin? I think most of it is based on personal preference in terms of shape, texture, and color. However, there are some tried and true strategies to picking a good pumpkin.  At Pumpkins and More A-maiz-ing Farm, we encourage customers to go out in the field to search for their perfect pumpkin. Part one of this strategy requires wearing jeans and sturdy shoes. If you have never been into a pumpkin patch before, then you may not realize that the ground is uneven and the vines are prickly. Wearing gloves and bringing clippers are a bonus strategy. Once prepared, head out in search of a pumpkin that you find visually appealing. Personally, I am a fan of a big, spherical Lumina pumpkin or a tall, oblong orange pumpkin. Bah loves the perfectly round pie pumpkins, Boo likes the pink pumpkins, and Bubs appreciates all "puh-kins." No matter what your preference is, you want to look for a pumpkin free from bugs, with an intact vine, n...

Surviving the afterglow

How many of you out there experience the post-holiday slump? I always feel like the first few weeks of January are depressing. The glow and excitement of the holidays are over. The weather is usually cold and gloomy. My house is in shambles from all-over toys, and I am crabby from trying to cut back on sweets. This year, though, I am working on continuing the joyful spirit and not allowing myself to get down in the dumps. I have found some techniques to help keep me on track that I am excited to share. 1. Make a routine and stick to it. This can be applied in almost every area of life but is especially useful in balancing work and home life. For some people, this may sound like torture, but my type A personality thrives on a schedule and organization. My routine revolves around efficiency. When I wake up, I shower and get the kids' breakfast ready. Then I wake them up so they can get dressed while I do my hair. When they are dressed, I do their hair while they brush th...