Skip to main content

Halloween story and a craft

At Pumpkins and More, we have a decorated area dedicated to reading. There are benches and a variety of Halloween, fall, and farm books. This weekend, to get out of the sun, the cousins sat down to read.



One of the stories in the collection is "The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything" by Linda D. Willams. Listening to Bah read this book, I was motivated to develop a craft to go along with it. I snuck it home for the week for some extra reading and fun. The craft I decided on was partially inspired by the scarecrow craft seen here. 

Reading the Story
Since I am working with a toddler, preschooler, and  first grader, the activity required some modification. To begin, I used construction paper to cut out the parts - a shirt, pants, boots, and a pumpkin head - for Bubs. I thought the girls would be able to cut out their parts independently. However, Boo got frustrated, so she told me which part of the story came next (shoes, pants, etc.), and I cut them for her. As creative pieces, I collected straw, feathers, and sequins for them to add. Since the girls are familiar with crafts, after reading the story, I laid out the supplies, construction paper, and glue, and let them create. 

Supplies
Bubs is younger, so I gave him some materials and contact paper to create his version of a scarecrow. The process was fun, and the results were adorable. 


Bubs enjoying himself




Finished products




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Fall

Happy first day of fall everyone! We are celebrating with some work on the farm. Last night, our high school helpers took apart all of the irrigation pipe, and today we will load it up to put away. On our farm, the majority of the fields are watered with sprinkler irrigation that looks like this: Photo credit: Taylor Shea Goldenstein However, in the corner areas, we use irrigation pipe that runs from a well. The water runs down the rows and must be set to alternate every day. This process is done by hand and is one of our favorite summertime activities as you can see: Setting water on soybean field 2016 Checking the rows in a corn field 2015 Playing in the mud 2014 The weather here was cool and misty - this morning - so I planned on eating potato soup for dinner. By day's end though the weather heated up too much for soup, but I am sure I will get the chance to make it soon. Instead, the kids enjoyed some time playing. 

A crisp Broncos Sunday calls for homemade chili

The weather is a breezy 68 degrees at Pumpkins and More A-maiz-ing Farm today, so we are a little extra bundled cheering on our Denver Broncos. To keep everyone warm, Boots made his special chili. Ingredients for a 16 quart roaster full: 2 lbs. Hamburger 2 lbs. Hot Italian sausage 1 large green bell pepper, diced 3 Anaheim peppers, diced 3 jalapeƱo peppers, diced 1 onion, diced 8-9 lbs. beans (mixture of pinto, great northern, kidney, and black to your preference) 4 cans stewed tomatoes 48 oz. Spicy V8 3 cupa Pace picante sauce 2 Tbs. Garlic salt 2 Tbs. Pepper 2 Tbs. Chili powder 2 Tbs. Cayenne pepper 1 Oz. Worcestershire sauce 2 packets chili seasoning 1. Brown meats, peppers, and onion in a sauce pot 2. Add all other ingredients to the roaster 3. When meat and veggies are ready, add to roaster as well 4. Bring to boil 5. Simmer for 2 hours at 275 degrees 6. Serve with Frito lays, cheese, and a dallop of sour cream!

Pumpkin Spice No Bake Cookies

I don't want to go all pumpkin spice crazy on everyone, but I definitely enjoy myself some pumpkin spice. After seeing a picture of these gooey cookies on Facebook, I figured they would be a perfect fall-themed treat. Yumminess! I snagged the recipe from Once a Month Meals, so you can get the original here . My favorite part about no bake cookies (besides being pumpkin spice flavored) is that the girls can help make them! First, we gathered our ingredients & supplies: 1 1/2 cups white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 3/4 cup butter 2/3 cup milk 3 1/3 ounces of instant Pumpkin Spice Pudding Mix 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract 3 1/2 cups Quick Cook Rolled Oats waxed paper medium sauce pan silicone mixing spatula teaspoon wet and dry mixing cups clean silverware teaspoon for scooping Next, we began cooking: 1. In a saucepan, combine sugars, butter, and milk. 2. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for two minutes. 3. Remove from heat and add p...