Skip to main content

Spooky

Two weeks ago it was a full moon and the official start of our Haunted Maze!
2012 

One of my favorite parts of Halloween is dressing up in different costumes. Normally, I don't wear much (if any) makeup, so I like to go all out for Halloween. Each year, I experiment trying different strategies without spending too much money on supplies. During our Haunted Maze at Pumpkins and More A-maiz-ing Farm, my role is usually to collect admissions. This makes it difficult to wear a complex costume, but I still like to have one. My "go to" is some type of zombie or walking dead girl. It has to be something I can throw together quickly since we are usually busy with customers all throughout the day. I also like something not TOO scary since some nights our kiddos stay out there with us.
2013


Two years ago, I read online about using unflavored gelatin powder as a liquid latex substitute. I used it to create this look:
2014

Last year on Halloween night, our friend and talented makeup artist Amanda provided us with a real theatrical treat.

Amanda's awesome 2015 makeup
Amanda's awesome 2015 makeup




















Sadly, though, she cannot do our makeup every weekend, so I have to substitute. This year, I wanted to take the look even further and using the gelatin, Elmer's glue, tissue, corn syrup, food coloring, and makeup I set out to make the best wounds yet.

Ahead of time, I created some scab-looking things using Elmer's glue. I created scar designs with it, let it dry, and peeled it off. And then... I forgot them! Haha. So instead I just used the gelatin. 

The first step of application was to make my face an even surface. I used a mixture of normal foundation and white makeup because my skin is somewhat sensitive. Then I used black costume makeup to make my eyes dark. 

Next, I mixed equal parts hot water and gelatin powder to create a liquid paste. With that, I painted my cheek and applied tissue. I repeated this process three times to get a decent wound. Before it was dry, I ripped the middle. I did the same thing on my forehead. I used the same foundation/white makeup combination to cover the scab.



Then, I shaded the wounds and went to work with blood. To me, a zombie can never have too much blood. I used some fake blood from my makeup kit but also a combination of corn syrup and food coloring. I dribbled it along my wounds and lips and used a rough sponge to dab it elsewhere. The results are not professional, but I definitely improve each year:

2016

2016 close up

Happy haunting! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Fall

Happy first day of fall everyone! We are celebrating with some work on the farm. Last night, our high school helpers took apart all of the irrigation pipe, and today we will load it up to put away. On our farm, the majority of the fields are watered with sprinkler irrigation that looks like this: Photo credit: Taylor Shea Goldenstein However, in the corner areas, we use irrigation pipe that runs from a well. The water runs down the rows and must be set to alternate every day. This process is done by hand and is one of our favorite summertime activities as you can see: Setting water on soybean field 2016 Checking the rows in a corn field 2015 Playing in the mud 2014 The weather here was cool and misty - this morning - so I planned on eating potato soup for dinner. By day's end though the weather heated up too much for soup, but I am sure I will get the chance to make it soon. Instead, the kids enjoyed some time playing. 

The Perfect Pumpkin

So how exactly does one pick the perfect pumpkin? I think most of it is based on personal preference in terms of shape, texture, and color. However, there are some tried and true strategies to picking a good pumpkin.  At Pumpkins and More A-maiz-ing Farm, we encourage customers to go out in the field to search for their perfect pumpkin. Part one of this strategy requires wearing jeans and sturdy shoes. If you have never been into a pumpkin patch before, then you may not realize that the ground is uneven and the vines are prickly. Wearing gloves and bringing clippers are a bonus strategy. Once prepared, head out in search of a pumpkin that you find visually appealing. Personally, I am a fan of a big, spherical Lumina pumpkin or a tall, oblong orange pumpkin. Bah loves the perfectly round pie pumpkins, Boo likes the pink pumpkins, and Bubs appreciates all "puh-kins." No matter what your preference is, you want to look for a pumpkin free from bugs, with an intact vine, n...

Surviving the afterglow

How many of you out there experience the post-holiday slump? I always feel like the first few weeks of January are depressing. The glow and excitement of the holidays are over. The weather is usually cold and gloomy. My house is in shambles from all-over toys, and I am crabby from trying to cut back on sweets. This year, though, I am working on continuing the joyful spirit and not allowing myself to get down in the dumps. I have found some techniques to help keep me on track that I am excited to share. 1. Make a routine and stick to it. This can be applied in almost every area of life but is especially useful in balancing work and home life. For some people, this may sound like torture, but my type A personality thrives on a schedule and organization. My routine revolves around efficiency. When I wake up, I shower and get the kids' breakfast ready. Then I wake them up so they can get dressed while I do my hair. When they are dressed, I do their hair while they brush th...