Skip to main content

Christmas Crafts

My girls just LOVE crafts. They get so excited when a new crafting kit comes in the mail or when we are home all weekend so that they can craft. Recently, our town's bookstore (Inklings and More) came under new ownership, and they have created an entire back room just for crafting supplies. 💕 This may not seem like a big deal, but anyone who lives in a small town knows that conveniences like that don't come along all of the time. Sadly, they hadn't quite stocked their shelves in time for our crafts, and I had already ordered from
Amazon, but we will definitely hit them up for our next crafting adventures. This year, we set up 4 different crafts to complete over Christmas. The first one is our yearly homemade Christmas gift, but I can't give details (or show pictures) of that one until after Christmas.

Gift Tags

This one is pretty simple, but I thought about adding personal touches to the gifts we got people this year. Usually, I buy those little sticker to and from tags, so this was the perfect way to add that homemade touch.

For supplies, all I needed was some cardstock and markers. I cut out the tag shapes and wrote the to and from, while the girls decorated the back side. They enjoyed talking about what they were giving each person and put a lot of thought into what to draw on each person's tag.

Wooden Peg People Nativity Scenes

I have a really beautiful Willow Tree nativity scene that I adore. Each year, the girls ask if they can play with, and I sadly have to tell them no. That (and this pin I found) inspired our next craft. What I loved most about this was that I had very little set-up since I bought the peg people online. All I had to do was get out paints and paint brushes, paper towels, markers and playdoh for hair. As the girls were painting their people, they decided that baby Jesus needed a manger. After some quick thinking, I cut out pieces from an egg carton and filled them with straw. After just about an hour of work, the girls have their own little nativity scenes to play with.

Bah very focused

Boo setting her pieces out to dry

Finished product for Boo

Gingerbread Houses

This is a fairly traditional Christmas craft that is usually inspired by a week of Gingerbread Focus at preschool. Rather than buy a kit, we use graham crackers to create our houses. We also use left-over Halloween candy as decorations. The frosting recipe I use is simple: whites of 1 large egg and 2 cups of powdered sugar mixed until combined and then add drops of water to reach desired consistency. The egg white makes it stick like glue which is perfect for my less-than-patient builders. Despite a mishap of pressing too hard and destroying one house, the process was quite enjoyable. However, the girls were very unhappy when they woke up the next morning to see their ornery brother had stolen some candy decorations. Overall, though, this is a tradition we will definitely keep!

Putting on a door knob

Adding frosting

The broken house :(

Wild little brother

Bah and her finished product (notice her peg people too)

Boo and her finished product


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Fall

Happy first day of fall everyone! We are celebrating with some work on the farm. Last night, our high school helpers took apart all of the irrigation pipe, and today we will load it up to put away. On our farm, the majority of the fields are watered with sprinkler irrigation that looks like this: Photo credit: Taylor Shea Goldenstein However, in the corner areas, we use irrigation pipe that runs from a well. The water runs down the rows and must be set to alternate every day. This process is done by hand and is one of our favorite summertime activities as you can see: Setting water on soybean field 2016 Checking the rows in a corn field 2015 Playing in the mud 2014 The weather here was cool and misty - this morning - so I planned on eating potato soup for dinner. By day's end though the weather heated up too much for soup, but I am sure I will get the chance to make it soon. Instead, the kids enjoyed some time playing. 

The Perfect Pumpkin

So how exactly does one pick the perfect pumpkin? I think most of it is based on personal preference in terms of shape, texture, and color. However, there are some tried and true strategies to picking a good pumpkin.  At Pumpkins and More A-maiz-ing Farm, we encourage customers to go out in the field to search for their perfect pumpkin. Part one of this strategy requires wearing jeans and sturdy shoes. If you have never been into a pumpkin patch before, then you may not realize that the ground is uneven and the vines are prickly. Wearing gloves and bringing clippers are a bonus strategy. Once prepared, head out in search of a pumpkin that you find visually appealing. Personally, I am a fan of a big, spherical Lumina pumpkin or a tall, oblong orange pumpkin. Bah loves the perfectly round pie pumpkins, Boo likes the pink pumpkins, and Bubs appreciates all "puh-kins." No matter what your preference is, you want to look for a pumpkin free from bugs, with an intact vine, n...

Surviving the afterglow

How many of you out there experience the post-holiday slump? I always feel like the first few weeks of January are depressing. The glow and excitement of the holidays are over. The weather is usually cold and gloomy. My house is in shambles from all-over toys, and I am crabby from trying to cut back on sweets. This year, though, I am working on continuing the joyful spirit and not allowing myself to get down in the dumps. I have found some techniques to help keep me on track that I am excited to share. 1. Make a routine and stick to it. This can be applied in almost every area of life but is especially useful in balancing work and home life. For some people, this may sound like torture, but my type A personality thrives on a schedule and organization. My routine revolves around efficiency. When I wake up, I shower and get the kids' breakfast ready. Then I wake them up so they can get dressed while I do my hair. When they are dressed, I do their hair while they brush th...