Skip to main content

Random Acts of Christmas Kindness

Sometimes, I find myself getting so caught up in the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season that I get stressed out. Between buying gifts, attending parties and keeping up with our advent calendar, it is easy to lose track of what is important about the holidays: spreading the love of Christ. Since the kids are getting older, it is a great time to begin talking to them about community service and giving back. This year, I made it my goal to develop two different kindness activities that the kids can participate in.

Nursing Home Visit

The first act was not necessarily "random," but it has a great lesson with it. On a fairly regular basis, we have discussions in our house about being thankful and about people who have less than we do. These conversations are strengthened through missionary work the kids see happen through the church. However, I wanted to take it a step further this year and talk about how people who have less than we (not just financially) but in terms of family and friends. We are extremely blessed to have a huge family and many friends that we consider family to spend the holidays with, but not everyone is so lucky. Each week in our church bulletin, there is a reminder to pray for congregation members who are in the nursing home and assisted living which sparked my plan for our nursing home visit. The nursing home in Holyoke (Regent Park Nursing Home) has approximately 20 residents, and while there are many community organizations who help spread Christmas cheer there, I can't imagine being away from family during the holidays. To help brighten their days, I decided we should color pictures and make cards to deliver. As we started talking about this project, Bah remembered going to the nursing home to read stories to the residents during kindergarten, so I was happy she could make that connection. Once we arrived to deliver our pictures though (which was later than I anticipated because we have been fighting the stomach flu since Thanksgiving), all three kids became shy. :) Still, I hope the pictures and cards brightened the residents' day.



Candy Cane Bomb Parking Lot

In a small town, there are very few business parking lots that fill up with more than 15 cars, so when I read the idea of candy cane bombing a parking lot, I almost ignored it. Then I remember that high school basketball season has started and would fill the school parking lots with at least 75 vehicles. This week, there is a home game against the county rival which would be a perfect time to spread a little Christmas cheer. The kids and I bundled up, bought a few packages of candy canes, and put them on door handles and windshields of the cars. This was a fun event because even Bubs could be involved. It was simple, inexpensive, and fun, so it will definitely be a keeper.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Fall

Happy first day of fall everyone! We are celebrating with some work on the farm. Last night, our high school helpers took apart all of the irrigation pipe, and today we will load it up to put away. On our farm, the majority of the fields are watered with sprinkler irrigation that looks like this: Photo credit: Taylor Shea Goldenstein However, in the corner areas, we use irrigation pipe that runs from a well. The water runs down the rows and must be set to alternate every day. This process is done by hand and is one of our favorite summertime activities as you can see: Setting water on soybean field 2016 Checking the rows in a corn field 2015 Playing in the mud 2014 The weather here was cool and misty - this morning - so I planned on eating potato soup for dinner. By day's end though the weather heated up too much for soup, but I am sure I will get the chance to make it soon. Instead, the kids enjoyed some time playing. 

The Perfect Pumpkin

So how exactly does one pick the perfect pumpkin? I think most of it is based on personal preference in terms of shape, texture, and color. However, there are some tried and true strategies to picking a good pumpkin.  At Pumpkins and More A-maiz-ing Farm, we encourage customers to go out in the field to search for their perfect pumpkin. Part one of this strategy requires wearing jeans and sturdy shoes. If you have never been into a pumpkin patch before, then you may not realize that the ground is uneven and the vines are prickly. Wearing gloves and bringing clippers are a bonus strategy. Once prepared, head out in search of a pumpkin that you find visually appealing. Personally, I am a fan of a big, spherical Lumina pumpkin or a tall, oblong orange pumpkin. Bah loves the perfectly round pie pumpkins, Boo likes the pink pumpkins, and Bubs appreciates all "puh-kins." No matter what your preference is, you want to look for a pumpkin free from bugs, with an intact vine, n...

Surviving the afterglow

How many of you out there experience the post-holiday slump? I always feel like the first few weeks of January are depressing. The glow and excitement of the holidays are over. The weather is usually cold and gloomy. My house is in shambles from all-over toys, and I am crabby from trying to cut back on sweets. This year, though, I am working on continuing the joyful spirit and not allowing myself to get down in the dumps. I have found some techniques to help keep me on track that I am excited to share. 1. Make a routine and stick to it. This can be applied in almost every area of life but is especially useful in balancing work and home life. For some people, this may sound like torture, but my type A personality thrives on a schedule and organization. My routine revolves around efficiency. When I wake up, I shower and get the kids' breakfast ready. Then I wake them up so they can get dressed while I do my hair. When they are dressed, I do their hair while they brush th...